Monday, October 26, 2009

That Autumn Feeling




"Trees eat themselves" - Timonthy Cavendish, Cloud Atlas.

My brother, sister-in-law, and I recently went exploring country east of Ottawa. It was a dewy Autumn day. Foliage confetti, fallen branches and barren trees striped of their pride and joy. Looked a bit like an abandoned war zone.

Whenever it comes around, I always proclaim Autumn to be my favorite season - but I do the same for Spring and the first snowfall as well. Autumn is usually too transient for you to ever really feel like you are in the season. But, this Autumn, to Summer and most people's chagrin, started early. I don't recall enjoying so many days kicking leaves.

Another quote from Cloud Atlas on the end of Autumn, this one from Robert Frobisher:

"Air in the chateau clammy like laundry that won't dry. Door-banging drafts down the passageways. Autumn is leaving its mellowness behind for its spiky, rotted stage. Don't remember summer even saying good-bye."

No comments:

Post a Comment